Your Friday Coronavirus Update: More Than 500 Have Died From COVID-19 In Orange County
Orange County death toll passes 500
Matthew Peddie, WMFE
The latest report from the Florida Department of Health shows 502 people have now died from COVID-19 in Orange County since the spring.
The county added 259 cases Friday, which is the highest daily case count in the past 30 days. Orange County has now recorded 41,822 coronavirus cases.
Statewide, 2,908 new cases and 118 new deaths were added. Florida has seen 728,921 coronavirus cases and 15,372 deaths.
The percent positivity for new cases was 4.13%, a slight decrease from Thursday. Percent positivity for new cases has ranged from 5.25% to 3.74% over the past 14 days.
The Agency for Health Care Administration reported 2,139 people hospitalized with a primary diagnosis of COVID-19. Hospitalization numbers have been in the low 2,000s for the past few weeks.
Here’s a roundup of stories you may have missed:
Close-contact rule could lead to more quarantines in Marion County schools
Joe Byrnes, WMFE
COVID-19 quarantine requirements significantly affected three Marion County public schools this week. And School Board members worry that a new understanding of state guidelines could lead to even more disruption. Read more here.
Airport Leaders “Cautiously Optimistic” About Slow Increase in Travel By The End of Year
Danielle Prieur, WMFE
Orlando International Airport is still Florida’s busiest airport, but passenger travel in August dropped by 72 percent from the same time last year. Read more here.
Could The Live Flu Vaccine Help You Fight Off COVID-19?
Michaeleen Doucleff, NPR
In case you were still procrastinating getting a flu shot this year, here’s another reason to make it a priority. There’s a chance the vaccine could offer some protection against COVID-19 itself, says virologist Robert Gallo, who directs the Institute of Human Virology at the University of Maryland School of Medicine and is chairman of the Global Virus Network. Read more here.
Central Florida Leaders Respond to President Trump’s Boycott of Miami Debate After it Goes Virtual
Danielle Prieur, WMFE
The debate was scheduled for next Thursday in Miami. The Commission on Presidential Debates said the debate would be virtual due to concerns over the president’s COVID-19 status. Read more here.
Get The 90.7 WMFE Newsletter
Your trusted news source for the latest Central Florida COVID-19 news, updates on special programs and more. Support our extended coverage.GET THE LATEST