WMFE is Central Florida's primary provider of NPR programming on 90.7 FM and Classical Music on 90.7 HD2. Part of the community since 1965, WMFE focuses on providing quality national and local news and programming. We inspire and empower all Central Floridians to discover, grow and engage within and beyond their world.
• You may be surprised to learn that Florida is quickly running out of cheap, clean drinking water as its population grows. Economic analyst Hank Fishkind says new regulations and other fixes are in the works…but they come with a sizable price tag. Read More »
• The latest employment reports were disappointing to economists. Job growth in January was minimal and new claims for unemployment rose again in Florida. However, the national unemployment rate fell by a fraction of a percent. Economic analyst Dr. Hank Fishkind makes sense of the seemingly contradictory numbers. Read More »
• Economic analyst Hank Fishkind says Florida’s numbers were better because the state’s milder weather and population growth spurred strength in certain sectors, like professional and technical services. But he says the good news does not extend to Central Florida area. Read More »
• Last week infection rates surged across the U.S. and here in Florida, and there were reports of sharp drops in economic activity in response. Retail sales dropped for the third month in a row and new unemployment claims climbed. This is problematic for Central Florida’s tourism-based economy. Economic analyst Dr. Hank Fishkind says things will change if President-elect Joe Biden is able to do 100 million vaccinations in the first 100 days of his administration, as planned. But the change will be slow. Read More »
• As Central Florida joins the nation in grappling with the political and legal fallout from last week’s unprecedented events, economic analyst Hank Fishkind tells WMFE’s Nicole Darden Creston there are also economic impacts to consider. Read More »