WMFE is Central Florida's primary provider of NPR programming on 90.7 FM and Classical Music on 90.7 HD2. Part of the community since 1965, WMFE focuses on providing quality national and local news and programming. We inspire and empower all Central Floridians to discover, grow and engage within and beyond their world.
• Eli García traveled down to Homestead last weekend to turn fear into power. As one of hundreds of thousands of youth using the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program (DACA), García innately understands the terror of being undocumented. That feeling was heightened as more details emerged about a Trump administration policy that separated about 2,300 undocumented children from their immigrant parents. Trump has since signed an executive order ending this policy, but it’s not clear yet how these children will be reunited with their parents. Although they were afraid, members of the Central Florida undocumented community and the Hope CommUnity Center drove down to a detention facility holding about 1,000 migrant children in Homestead to protest the conditions. Some people … Read More »
• The clock’s ticking on the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program. The program was started under the Obama administration to protect the children of undocumented immigrants from deportation. Read More »
• Activists and immigration advocates from more than fifteen organizations gathered outside Orlando City Hall Tuesday afternoon in the heat to denounce the federal government’s decision to end DACA. The decision by the Trump administration gives congress a six-month window to enact legislation to protect DACA beneficiaries. Read More »
• Central Florida lawmakers and young immigrants will share a meal and conversation Monday evening about the uncertain future of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, or DACA. Read More »
• What does the future hold for the children of undocumented immigrants in the US? Attorneys General in ten states want the federal government to phase out Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, the program that started under the Obama administration that protects children of undocumented immigrants from deportation. Read More »