Primary Election Results and Reactions
Today is primary election day in Florida, and 90.7 News is your source for results and reactions. Coverage begins at 7pm.
This story will update throughout the evening as results come in. Newest updates will be at the top.
- Charlie Crist wins Democratic nomination for Governor over Nan Rich.
- Rick Scott wins Republication nomination for Governor.
- George Sheldon defeats Perry Thurston for Democratic nomination.
- Incumbent John Mica wins District 7 GOP primary
- Incumbent Alan Grayson wins District 9 Democratic primary
Florida State Senate
- Geraldine Thompson defeats Gary Siplin in District 12 Democratic primary Orange County
- Bryan Nelson and Alvin Moore head to a runoff in Orange County Commission District 2.
- Incumbent Jennifer Thompson wins re-election in Orange County Commission District 4.
- Victoria Siplin and Derrick Wallace head to a runoff in Orange County Commission District 6.
Voters pass a 1/2 penny sales tax for schools.
Update 7:13PM: An hour before the polls closed, Orange County Supervisor of Elections reports low voter turnout numbers, only 14% of registered voters showed up to cast their vote.
In 2010, 21% of registered voters headed to the polls. Seminole county saw a 23% voter turnout.
There aren’t any big-ticket races this primary which could lead to voter disinterest.
70,000 voters opted to cast their ballots early or absentee this year. There are about 715,000 registered voters in Orange County.
Update 5:38PM: Secretary of State Ken Detzner says polls opened across Florida Tuesday with little trouble. But one Orange County precinct opened late after an election worker overslept. No voters were affected despite the late start. It was the only reported issue among 6222 precincts in the state.
Additional Primary Election Stories
Get The 90.7 WMFE Newsletter
Your trusted news source for the latest Central Florida news, updates on special programs and more.GET THE LATEST