WMFE is Central Florida's primary provider of NPR programming on 90.7 FM and Classical Music on 90.7 HD2. Part of the community since 1965, WMFE focuses on providing quality national and local news and programming. We inspire and empower all Central Floridians to discover, grow and engage within and beyond their world.
Support for 90.7 WMFE is provided by

The Final U.S. Military Plane Has Left Afghanistan, Marking The War’s End

A view from the scene after rockets were fired at the Afghan capital Kabul's Hamid Karzai International Airport on Monday. Casualties are feared, but no immediate details were available.
Image credit: Haroon Sabawoon


Updated August 30, 2021 at 4:53 PM ET

Latest updates at a glance:

  • Pentagon officials have announced the last U.S. military plane has left Afghanistan, marking the end of America’s longest war
  • Ten members of single Afghan family were reportedly killed in a U.S. drone strike that U.S. officials say disrupted a plot to attack the Kabul airport. The Pentagon says it is “continuing to assess” those reports.
  • Evacuations were stepped up ahead of Tuesday’s withdrawal deadline.
  • President Biden attended a solemn ceremony at Dover Air Force Base in Delaware as the bodies of 13 U.S. service members killed in last week’s Kabul airport attack returned home.
  • The United Nations is warning of a humanitarian disaster in Afghanistan once U.S. forces depart.

The last U.S. plane has departed Afghanistan, the Pentagon announced, marking the end of America’s longest war and leaving the country’s future in disarray and uncertainty under Taliban rule.

Gen. Frank McKenzie, commander of U.S. Central Command, said the last U.S. plane was now clearing Afghan air space.

“I’m here to announce the completion of our mission to Afghanistan, ” he said.

More than 123,000 civilians were flown out by the U.S. and its partners, which McKenzie called “a monumental accomplishment.” A U.S. official also said today that 6,000 were evacuated who self-identified as American, and that the number of Americans left is below 250.

The official ending of the U.S. war in Afghanistan comes as the Pentagon is still looking into the deaths of 10 Afghan civilians, including a number of children, who were killed during a drone strike over the weekend that targeted suspected ISIS-K militants.

Sunday’s drone strike destroyed an Islamic State affiliate car bomb that posed an “imminent” threat to Kabul’s airport, U.S. Central Command said.

However, The Washington Post reported Monday that 10 Afghan civilians, including several children, were also killed in the strike. The dead, all part of the same extended family, were reportedly getting out of a car near the targeted vehicle.

One of the relatives told the Los Angeles Times that no fewer than seven children were among the dead.

NPR has not independently confirmed the reports.

Central Command said in an earlier statement it was “aware of reports of civilian casualties,” adding: “We would be deeply saddened by any potential loss of innocent life.”

Amnesty International USA’s executive director, Paul O’Brien, said Washington has a responsibility to the families of those killed to “acknowledge its actions, investigate and provide reparations.”

“Survivors awake today in Afghanistan with the unimaginable pain of having lost their loved ones with no accountability for those who have committed the airstrikes,” O’Brien said in a statement emailed to NPR.

“For two decades the United States has carried out strikes with no accountability to the public for how many civilians were killed by U.S. actions in Afghanistan and other countries. It is unconscionable that the Biden administration continues airstrikes in this shroud of secrecy.”

Meanwhile, rockets fired on Monday apparently aimed at Kabul’s airport rained down on a nearby neighborhood as U.S. forces scrambled to evacuate thousands of Afghans trying to flee ahead of the withdraw of all American troops.

The attack, reportedly involving several rockets, occurred as U.S. C-17 cargo jets continued operations to evacuate people desperate to escape from an Afghanistan now controlled by the hard-line Taliban.

Taylor said five rockets were fired at the Kabul airport. He said three had missed altogether, one was shot down, and a fifth hit the airfield but caused no damage or injuries.

“We’re in a particularly dangerous time right now,” said Kirby, the Pentagon spokesman, acknowledging there was still a threat to U.S. forces.

The Islamic State Khorasan, or ISIS-K, claimed responsibility for the attack. The group’s Nasher News said on its Telegram channel, “By the grace of God Almighty, the soldiers of the Caliphate targeted Kabul International Airport with six Katyusha rockets.”

Central Command spokesman Bill Urban said earlier that the rockets were intercepted by a U.S. defensive system known as a Counter-Rocket, Artillery and Mortar System, or C-RAM.

The drone strikes follow last week’s suicide bombing at the gates of the airport that killed 169 Afghans and 13 U.S. service members. ISIS-K, an affiliate of the widely known extremist group, claimed that attack as well, inviting swift retaliation in the form of a U.S. drone strike that killed two “high-profile” members of group and wounded a third, according to U.S. officials.

U.S. strikes back at ISIS-K

Urban, the Central Command spokesman, described Sunday’s drone strike as a “self-defense unmanned over-the-horizon airstrike.”

“We are confident we successfully hit the target. Significant secondary explosions from the vehicle indicated the presence of a substantial amount of explosive material,” he said.

The two drone strikes on Friday and Sunday came after Biden last week vowed to hunt down the perpetrators of Thursday’s airport attack. A day before the second U.S. strike, Biden warned that another attack on the airport was imminent and that he had directed U.S. commanders to “take every possible measure to prioritize force protection.”

Secretary of State Antony Blinken said the lead-up to Tuesday’s troop withdrawal deadline was “the most dangerous time in an already extraordinarily dangerous mission these last couple of days.”

On Sunday, the president attended a ceremony at Dover Air Force Base in which the flag-draped caskets containing bodies of the U.S. service members killed in last week’s attack in Kabul arrived aboard a C-17 plane.

Biden stood with grieving families as honor guards in dress uniforms removed the caskets. He and first lady Jill Biden also met privately with family members of the dead.

Eleven Marines, one Army soldier and one member of the Navy were among the dead. In a statement Saturday, the president called them “heroes who made the ultimate sacrifice in service of our highest American ideals and while saving the lives of others.”

“The 13 service members that we lost were heroes who made the ultimate sacrifice in service of our highest American ideals and while saving the lives of others,” Biden said in the statement. “Their bravery and selflessness has enabled more than 117,000 people at risk to reach safety thus far.”

Evacuations continue as the deadline approaches

As airport evacuations continued Monday, the White House said that about 1,200 people were evacuated from Kabul in the 24 hours ending at 3 a.m. ET Monday.

“This is the result of 26 US military flights (26 C-17s) which carried approximately 1,200 evacuees, and 2 coalition flights which carried 50 people,” the statement said.

The statement said that since Aug. 14, the U.S. “has evacuated and facilitated the evacuation” of some 116,700 people. It said that since the end of July, the U.S. has relocated about 122,300 people.

National security adviser Jake Sullivan said the Biden administration believes it will still have “substantial leverage” over the Taliban after U.S. forces withdraw from Afghanistan that will allow the U.S. and its allies to leave the country safely even after Tuesday’s deadline.

Biden has said he is committed to withdrawing U.S. forces by Tuesday, but Sullivan said there are about 300 American citizens who remain in the country. Many others hoping to evacuate are Afghans who helped the U.S. military and who qualified for special immigrant visas or other visas to come to the United States.

At Monday’s Pentagon briefing, Kirby said it was not too late for any remaining Americans to get to the Kabul airport for evacuation flights.

“There is still time,” he said.

U.N. warns of a humanitarian crisis

As the U.S. evacuations continue, the U.N. high commissioner for refugees, Filippo Grandi, is warning that “a larger crisis is just beginning” as foreign aid to Afghanistan is likely curtailed after a U.S. exit.

“The evacuation effort has undoubtedly saved tens of thousands of lives, and these efforts are praiseworthy,” Grandi said in a statement. “But when the airlift and the media frenzy are over, the overwhelming majority of Afghans, some 39 million, will remain inside Afghanistan. They need us – governments, humanitarians, ordinary citizens – to stay with them and stay the course.”

Copyright 2021 NPR. To see more, visit https://www.npr.org.

Get The 90.7 WMFE Newsletter

Your trusted news source for the latest Central Florida news, updates on special programs and more.

GET THE LATEST
Stay tuned in to our local news coverage: Listen to 90.7 WMFE on your FM or HD radio, the WMFE mobile app or your smart speaker — say “Alexa, play NPR” and you’ll be connected.

WMFE Journalistic Ethics Code | Public Media Code of Integrity

TOP