At Community Communications, Inc. d/b/a WMFE, we recognize that a focus on diversity and inclusion will support our ability to serve the diverse needs of the very diverse Central Florida region. Across our formats and platforms we continue to strive to reflect our community at all levels of our organization.
Our diversity and inclusion efforts will therefore focus on:
- Establishing and regularly updating the organization’s scope and spectrum of diversity to include race, gender, disability, geography, religious belief, age, culture, sexual orientation, physicality, education, professional experience and socio-economic status
- Recruiting and maintaining a governing body and Community Advisory Board that reflects the organization’s spectrum of diversity
- Attracting, retaining, engaging and developing a workforce that reflects our diverse listener and member base
- Engaging with our audiences in a way that reflects and respects their unique perspectives and experiences
- Reviewing on an annual basis with WMFE’s Board of Trustees those practices that are designed to fulfill the station’s commitment to diversity and to meet the applicable federal and state laws; including FCC, the station’s Equal Employment Opportunity Policy, and the Corporation for Public Broadcasting’s Diversity Eligibility Criteria
Our board governance committee continues to work to recruit more board members from diverse backgrounds. Our Community Advisory Board continues to reflect the diversity of our community. The station’s senior leadership team and entire staff have begun diversity training aimed at raising the awareness of diversity issues in the workplace and fostering an environment in which all of our employees can feel valued and empowered to contribute their ideas and perspectives. The station’s recruiting efforts over the past two years have also paid particular attention to ensuring that minority candidates are being sought out, encouraged to apply and considered for station openings.
Our diversity and inclusion objectives, and progress towards achieving them, will be assessed annually to ensure they align with our service and talent objectives.