Changing Course: Florida Education at a Crossroads?
February 14-18 on 90.7 WMFE-FM
Florida Governor Rick Scott came into office promising a complete overhaul of the state’s education system. Suggestions from his transition team included: letting parents spend state money on private schools or home-schooling; making it easier for kids to transfer from one public school to another; and crafting a new teacher merit pay program and phasing out teacher tenure.
These ideas have the education community buzzing, so WMFE spent the week of February 14th talking to the people most affected by the changes. We’ll hear from parents and teachers, homeschooling advocates and the vendors who support their efforts, higher education officials, and more.
All Series Episodes
Changing Course: Impact of Rick Scott's Ideas on Minority Students
Changing Course: Proposed Budget Cuts Could Impact Higher Ed
Changing Course: Scott's Ed Proposals Get Mixed Reviews from Parents and Teachers
Hank Fishkind February 15 - Changing Course: Education and Florida's Economy
Changing Course: Non-Traditional Education Alternatives.
- Governor Scott’s Education Transition Team Recommendations
- Florida Department of Education
- Statewide teachers’ union
- Florida Virtual School
- Florida Educational Technology Corporation
- Florida Parental School Choice Consortium
- Florida Parent-Educators Association
- Foundation for Excellence in Education (Organization founded by former Florida Governor Jeb Bush, which supports many of Scott’s ideas)
- Let’s Reform Education
- Stop Senate Bill 6
- Orlando Sentinel "School Zone"
- Florida Today “Cram Session”
Teachers’ Groups Fighting Scott’s Proposals
Now Playing on 90.7