Support your favorite public media programming by donating your unwanted vehicle!
Instead of selling, trading or storing your vehicle, you can donate your car, truck, motorcycle, boat, recreational vehicle or camper. It's simple and easy to make a contribution that supports WMFE. And, WMFE receives 70% of the net proceeds from each vehicle sale!
All you need is a clear title, and we’ll take care of the rest, including pick-up, at no cost to you.
We will schedule a pickup that's convenient for you, and our driver will provide you with a tow receipt that confirms your name, and the year, make, model, VIN (Vehicle Identification Number), mileage and condition of the vehicle you are donating at the time of pick up; and the necessary paperwork to file your release of liability with the DMV.
Once your vehicle has been sold, you’ll be sent a receipt for your tax records, and the sale proceeds will be donated to WMFE in your name.
- Q: What are the benefits of donating my vehicle to WMFE?
- A: WMFE benefits by receiving a cash donation to fund new and existing programs and increase community awareness through local events. You benefit by being able to reduce your taxable income when taxes are itemized. Plus, you avoid the costs associated with selling your vehicle. No need to pay for advertising, no loss of privacy and possible security risk, and no need to pay for vehicle registration, insurance, and repairs to keep it in running condition while you wait for a buyer.
- Q: Does WMFE handle everything for me?
- A: WMFE is partnered with a company called CARS (Charitable Auto Resources, Inc) based in San Diego, California. WMFE has a contractual agreement with CARS to process all vehicle donations. CARS is owned and operated by a non-profit social service agency that works with many public broadcasting stations and other non-profit organizations across the country in outsourcing their vehicle donation program.
- Q: Does my vehicle have to be running to qualify for donation?
- A: No, but the vehicle must have an engine, tires (not applicable for boats), and be towable. Vehicles that are in extremely poor condition may be declined, as the cost to tow them may be more than the value of the vehicle.
- Q: How long will it take to pick up my vehicle?
- A: We make donating your vehicle as simple and convenient as possible. A tow company will contact you within two to three business days.
- Q: Do I pay for the towing?
- A: No, there is no charge to you for the towing.
- Q: Do I have to be with the vehicle at the time of pick-up?
- A: No. Special arrangements can be made by calling our representative.
- Q: What paperwork do I need?
- A: The only paperwork needed is a signed, clear title. Have your title with you when you call-in your donation. (Please note: a clear title indicates the title is in the name of the donor without a lien).
- Q: How does the new law effect my tax deduction?
- A: Donors are no longer responsible for determining the deductible value of their donation. Instead, they will receive IRS Form 1098-C, "Contributions of Motor Vehicles, Boats, and Airplanes" if the proceeds from the sale exceed $500, stating the amount of the gross proceeds from the sale of the donated vehicle. The amount listed on IRS Form 1098-C, "Contributions of Motor Vehicles, Boats, and Airplanes" will be the gross proceeds of the deductible donation.
- Q: Do I get a receipt for my donation?
- A: Yes, the driver will issue a tow receipt at the time of pick-up. The tow receipt will indicate your name, the year, make, model, mileage and the condition of the vehicle you are donating.
- Q: What can I claim as a deduction?
- A: According to the tax law effective January 1, 2005, if the claimed value of the donated vehicle exceeds $500, the taxpayer is limited to the gross proceeds of the sale. An IRS Form 1098-C, "Contributions of Motor Vehicles, Boats, and Airplanes" will be mailed to you stating the amount of gross proceeds received from your car, provided your vehicle sold for more than $500 and you have submitted your social security number. This will be your tax receipt for your charitable contribution.
- Q: How is the value determined on the vehicle donated?
- A: The value is determined by the gross proceeds raised from the sale of the donated vehicle. You no longer have the burden of determining the value yourself and do not need to have the car appraised.
Call Toll-Free 1-866-WMFE-AUTO or email email@example.com at your convenience and speak to a WMFE Vehicle Donation Representative today.