Changing Course: Florida Education at a Crossroads?
February 14-18 on 90.7 WMFE-FM
Florida Governor Rick Scott came into office promising a complete overhaul of the state’s education system. Suggestions from his transition team included: letting parents spend state money on private schools or home-schooling; making it easier for kids to transfer from one public school to another; and crafting a new teacher merit pay program and phasing out teacher tenure.
These ideas have the education community buzzing, so WMFE spent the week of February 14th talking to the people most affected by the changes. We’ll hear from parents and teachers, homeschooling advocates and the vendors who support their efforts, higher education officials, and more.
All Series Episodes
Intersection | "Changing Course" A Look at Teacher Tenure and Merit Pay in Florida
- Governor Scott’s Education Transition Team Recommendations
- Florida Department of Education
- Statewide teachers’ union
- Florida Virtual School
- Florida Educational Technology Corporation
- Florida Parental School Choice Consortium
- Florida Parent-Educators Association
- Foundation for Excellence in Education (Organization founded by former Florida Governor Jeb Bush, which supports many of Scott’s ideas)
- Let’s Reform Education
- Stop Senate Bill 6
- Orlando Sentinel "School Zone"
- Florida Today “Cram Session”
Teachers’ Groups Fighting Scott’s Proposals