Gov. Rick Scott Joins Multi-State Lawsuit Against BP, Others in Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill Case
March 6, 2014 | WMFE, Orlando - Gov. Rick Scott has joined a lawsuit against oil company BP for its involvement in the Deepwater Horizon oil spill. State water advocates applaud the move.
Platform supply vessels battle the blazing remnants of the off shore oil rig Deepwater Horizon. A Coast Guard MH-65C dolphin rescue helicopter and crew document the fire aboard the mobile offshore drilling unit Deepwater Horizon, while searching for survivors. Multiple Coast Guard helicopters, planes and cutters responded to rescue the Deepwater Horizon's 126 person crew. Photo: U.S. Coast Guard
The suit also names Andarko and Transocean as defendants, saying all three companies are responsible for the environmental harm caused by the April 2010 spill.
Ray Judha of the Florida Coastal and Ocean Coalition says the lawsuit is a long time coming.
“This is long past due. It’s gratifying, at least the governor is finally seeing the light and exercising sound judgment and join the lawsuit,” Judha says.
The governor previously declined to join a federal lawsuit against BP in 2011, saying he would rather negotiate with the company.
The lawsuit was filed by the Florida Dept. of Environmental Protection and the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. It’s a separate suit from one filed by the Attorney General’s office last year regarding the economic impact of the spill.