STREAM HELP!

News and Talk

FM Schedule |

Classical Music

Classical Schedule |
Close Listen Live Area

Orange County Corrections Officials Resign After Home Confinement Investigation

April 11th, 2014 | WMFE- Two top Orange County Corrections officials have stepped down, following an investigation into the county's home confinement program.

The investigation began after a murder case involving a suspect who was on home confinement.

Prosecutors allege Bessman Okafor killed Alex Zalvidar in September last year. Okafor was being monitored with an ankle bracelet as part of the home confinement program at the time. He was due to stand trial in a home invasion case, and Zalvidar was to testify against him. 

The home confinement program was suspended in February, and an investigation revealed problems with documentation and poor follow up of curfew violations for those on the program.  

On Thursday Orange County Mayor Teresa Jacobs released the investigation reports. She said people who allegedly violated or ignored policies will be subject to disciplinary action.  

Mayor Jacobs also announced the resignation of Orange County Corrections Chief Mike Tidwell and Deputy Director of Corrections Dr. Jill Hobbs. 

In a letter to the mayor tendering his resignation Tidwell said it was unconnected to the home confinement investigation- he said he planned to retire this year anyway.

 

All active news articles